Yale University Sterling Divinity Quadrangle
The renovation of the Sterling Divinity Quadrangle, designed by Delano & Aldrich in 1932, provides a welcoming building for sacred, social, and instructional spaces.
Ramps join the many levels of the fourteen pavilions into a single accessible building. All of the pavilions facing the green are repurposed for instructional and administrative uses, bringing life to the center of this small enclave. Portions of the second floor and attics are removed to create double-height spaces for the Institute of Sacred Music Great Hall and Organ Studio, and a large lecture hall. The removal of pews transformed Marquand Chapel into a space for flexible use, and a second organ was installed in a specially constructed organ loft. The pavilions east of Marquand Chapel are renovated for the Yale Divinity Research Center and the Center for Faith & Culture.
The building exteriors are restored, with a new slate roof, and new windows. Electrical co-generation links to the central campus and a satellite chilling plant that is shared with adjacent buildings.
The school remained fully operational throughout the multi-phased construction process.
New Haven, Connecticut
135,000 gross square feet total
131,000 gross square feet renovation
4,000 gross square feet addition
AIA Connecticut Design Award
Associated General Contractors Award of Excellence
Faith & Form Religious Architecture Award