A devastating fire provided the opportunity to reinvent this campus landmark as a place that welcomes students and visitors. A new three-story steel porch and stone-paved plaza open to the campus, signaling the transformation of the 1882 building from a formal and somewhat forbidding presence on the street to an open and welcoming university visitor center, with offices for President, Provost, and senior administrators above. Skylights in the reconfigured roof bring light down through central stair halls and corridors and meeting rooms, creating bright and inviting space. Old and new elements are integrated in the design of the Trustees Room and offices.
In association with James W. Potts Architects.
38,000 gross square feet