New York University Languages & Literature Building
A new core revitalizes this 1904 building, with ground floor instructional spaces visible from the street and daylit offices above.
A ground floor screening room with projection and simultaneous translation booth is used for classes and public events. Adjoining galleries link the instructional spaces to views of the surrounding streetscape. A mural by Elena Climent depicts working spaces of local New York writers, from Edith Wharton to Frank O’Hara. New steel and glass shop front and entrances with painted steel decorative panels relate to the historic cast iron in the immediate neighborhood.
Upper floors are the home for the Departments of English, Creative Writing, French, Spanish and Portuguese, German, Russian and Slavic, and Comparative Literature. Floors are organized to maximize the number of offices with exterior windows, and bring natural light into all gathering spaces. Office designs were developed in collaboration with faculty to fine tune bookshelving, lighting, and furniture.